Thursday 17 February 2011

design a dictionary 10



Today was spent making the pattern pieces for these giant letters ... and to be honest I'm wondering whether I'll be able to get them done in time, as I also want to make a video. 
I've decided to attempt to make them reversible so that you can climb inside and be enveloped in fleece but also that they can look fluffy for the onlooker ... and be an interesting subtle creamy beige furry mass of a letter.
I'm also thinking of having the centre of the 'o' be a 'hatch' to climb in and out of, so you basically unzip the centre, climb inside and then zip your self in .. so you'll end up being able to really stretch out in this giant circular envelope of juicy soft stuff. 
I don't know why I only have pictures of the 'f ' ... I've finished making the pattern pieces for all the letter except the 's' which is taking longer than intended because of it's annoying shape. I also need to buy more fleece, poor bank balance! jeeeez ... 
Ideally I'd like the final piece to be a video installation ... I was inspired by this late 70's kid's show called 'The Flumps' which I'm a fan of :


I just love the sensibility and the clever simplicity of it, not to mention it's visual appeal. I feel like kid's programmes are so into force feeding some sort of educational or moral message, and in a very 'smiley middle aged man wears red jumper, brings out the finger puppets and then sings' kind of way ..  or in a 'saturday morning, poorly produced CGI cartoon' kind of way.
The music in the opening of  'The Flumps' is so simple, honest and charming and really makes me think of round furry characters .. 
I'm visualising a video in which people in the 'sleeping bags/body bags' limp, jump, hop into shot. I love the idea of people inside them animating the word in a 'flumpy, frumpy, uncoordinated' way, bumping into one another, possibly tripping etc ... I'm also thinking of the idea of being 'softly spoken' and having a motherly voice and then a child's voice read aloud the definition of the word 'soft' whilst the visuals happen, and then maybe having a live demo of how to wear one.
We'll see.. anyways .. knackered!

No comments:

Post a Comment