Friday 25 March 2011

i found this giant book of beaches in the library ..

.. called 'On the Beach' by Richard Misrach.

This book is huge and utterly amazing!
I was just oohing and ahhing as I flipped (or heaved) the approx A2 pages to reveal image after image of blue sea, sand and teeny tiny people.
I don't quite know what it is that makes them so interesting.
I guess I've always had a thing for the sea, it's something that I'm both fascinated by and fearful of in a slimy, fishy sort of way.
The success of these images is simply the beauty of people dotted on a beach, the colours of their bathing costumes and towels against the sand, or the pin-prick of a person in a mass of lazy blue sea or sprawled on dimpled sand, presumably after a tiering swim (and hopefully not dead or a victim of a shark attack.)
For me they conjure up feelings of being on holiday, but they also make me feel very small.





These small images on my blog really don't do them justice! Find this book or buy this book! (for me)

1 comment:

  1. I love this book too! Stumbled across it during foundation... going to have to revisit it now

    ReplyDelete